New Member, New Polara

The person decided it only needed the valley pan is MA Mopar. That's how it's supposed to be.

Sounds like maybe it wasn't rebuilt...or maybe a quick rering and bearings if anything.

Ah. That may be, but the felpro pan comes with 4 traditional gaskets, and clearly it was letting water in.

Phoned every machine shop in town, they're all booked solid for at least a month. There go my dreams of October.

Ah. That may be, but the felpro pan comes with 4 traditional gaskets, and clearly it was letting water in.

Phoned every machine shop in town, they're all booked solid for at least a month. There go my dreams of October.
You have bodywork to do. Get back to coloring! ;^)

You can still make October, next year and you may indeed have the car done and be happier…

I’m interested to know how far down in the hole those are at tdc? I checked, and I see the stealth heads are closed chamber at about 80ccs which is what I understand the stock 516s are. I could have sworn the stealths were open chamber. I’m curious where your compression is, and will be.
Travis..

I’m interested to know how far down in the hole those are at tdc? I checked, and I see the stealth heads are closed chamber at about 80ccs which is what I understand the stock 516s are. I could have sworn the stealths were open chamber. I’m curious where your compression is, and will be.
Travis..

The stock pistons are roughly 1/16" depth flat tops and it comes out to 10-1 with the 516 heads, which have the same chamber size as 440 source

Haven't done the math yet because I don't know what it'll be bored out to, but I want +5 CC relief pistons and the 440 source gasket is pretty thin, which should bring us up to 10.5 or so, maybe even 11-1.

It's gonna be spicy.

The stock pistons are roughly 1/16" depth flat tops and it comes out to 10-1 with the 516 heads, which have the same chamber size as 440 source

Haven't done the math yet because I don't know what it'll be bored out to, but I want +5 CC relief pistons and the 440 source gasket is pretty thin, which should bring us up to 10.5 or so, maybe even 11-1.

It's gonna be spicy.

Where are you gonna find decent gas in BC to run that engine?

Where are you gonna find decent gas in BC to run that engine?

Sounds like a tomorrow problem.

Should run fine on pump premium with 32-36 degrees of timing. I'll pick the brains of the machine shop for final ratio when i get some expert measurements on it. I Measured it as stock bore, but that's with my craptacular calipers. It might still be 20 over or so.

It ain't no urban legend, as I'm living proof. They won't (aren't allowed to) pump it into your vehicle, but one can take jerry cans and fill them up here in Brantford and other airports that are small municipal operations with lots of privately owned aircraft that have the potential to land on private airstrips. The issue is that those craft need the higher octane and the low lead for engine valvetrain lubrication, and so people can get it delivered by truck to their private airstrip's gas tank (up to 500 gallons), or come and fill as many portable cans as they need to, and if they're forced at any point to use non Avgas, they can experience engine failure, and that's a big no-no in the aviation world. There are only two kinds of landings - good and bad... lol.

I take two or three 5 gallon containers and do it all the time.

For the wagon (which pings ALL the time on just regular 91 - 94 ethanoswill we get), I use one 5 gallon container per tankfull. It loves it, no more ping, and a noticeable boost in performance.

Yes, it costs more, but that's the price of fun in my book. For a daily it would be cost prohibitive even doing that, but hey, try it, you'll like it!! :icon_fU:

I've heard that for most, that's an urban legend.

Unless I'm totally clueless and you can drive right up to your local (Ontario, or BC) airport and they'll let you buy AVgas for your car.

Nah that's totally a thing. We run the drags here at the airport and all the local guys just buy their race gas there. Sometimes you need to know a guy though.

It ain't no urban legend, as I'm living proof. They won't (aren't allowed to) pump it into your vehicle, but one can take jerry cans and fill them up here in Brantford and other airports that are small municipal operations with lots of privately owned aircraft that have the potential to land on private airstrips. The issue is that those craft need the higher octane and the low lead for engine valvetrain lubrication, and so people can get it delivered by truck to their private airstrip's gas tank (up to 500 gallons), or come and fill as many portable cans as they need to, and if they're forced at any point to use non Avgas, they can experience engine failure, and that's a big no-no in the aviation world. There are only two kinds of landings - good and bad... lol.

I take two or three 5 gallon containers and do it all the time.

For the wagon (which pings ALL the time on just regular 91 - 94 ethanoswill we get), I use one 5 gallon container per tankfull. It loves it, no more ping, and a noticeable boost in performance.

Yes, it costs more, but that's the price of fun in my book. For a daily it would be cost prohibitive even doing that, but hey, try it, you'll like it!! :icon_fU:

Stock motors from the 60's shouldn't ping on modern premium. Either your dizzy is way too advanced (or the advance plate is seized/binding), your carb is leaned way out, or your combustion chambers are so full of carbon it's dieseling. Blue did that too, the closed chambers on these heads make them very sensitive to carbon buildup.

For the carbon, you can carefully put a bottle of water through the engine at 2500 rpm. It steam blasts the carbon and it'll come out in chunks out the tailpipe.

Last edited:
Back