So far as I dig deeper into my 383

Remember your FSM (factory service manual)has a very detailed description on how to install the timing set. I have found that to be one of the best how to tutorials. Some of the tools that are mentioned may need to be improvised.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Screw the manual... Just post up pics here and we'll guide you! :p

What did the old chain look like? (WE NEED MORE PICS)

Tip: use the puller that pulls via the bolt holes like in FSM.

Don't use the jaw type puller that pulls on the outside.

I was doing some research and I see you want to line "0" on the top gear aligned with 0 on the bottom(gear) then the key slide area should be 0 also. Then apply chain lube rotate the motor till your back at TDC but make sure your aligned again at the bottom 0,0,0 then tighten down the gear? Sound pretty close ?

Make sure to check if the heads are flat, everything I pull the heads on now gets the heads resurfaced

The keyway will not be at 0 or lined up. A multiple keyway crank sprocket use the o or do, the A,R, triangle or square is to advance or retard cam timing. You do not need to worry about.

70 big block got it;), and 65 sport yes will have the heads redone. I still have to make sure the block is good tho.

Good lets get back to the basics before everyone gets carried away. Clean and check the deck of the block first now that the heads are off. Then take the heads to a good machine shop and have them checked out. You want to make sure the heads are not cracked. The warpage in the heads can be remachined if they are not to bad. Since it is now evident this engine has been gone into before check everything first before you buy a lot of parts and then need another block.

Traintech I agree 100% , nothing will be replaced untill I make sure the block isn't warped or cracked.

Traintech I agree 100% , nothing will be replaced untill I make sure the block isn't warped or cracked.
Just making sure. Some guys, although they are trying to help, can get you off the correct path. If this engine turns out to be a boat anchor, then we can help you get a good one. Also upgrading now to run today's gasoline is in the cards. So many changes have come about in the last 50 years, and the bottom line is we love to drive these cars.

Ok so went to check the block and I was able to freely pass a .003 feeler gage under my straight edge. As you can see the cylinder was clean. So I went a little further and in some areas was able to even go as high as 0.008 be easily 0.007. I do remember the owner before me said it really would over heat in the summer.

15206175441101508571363.jpg

Ummm, most likely, yes. Just for kix, if that's what you used, flip it over and measure again against the other side......

I was at man when I put the straight edge over and tried I couldn't pass of .003 so thanks a lot

Back